Positive IMPACT Petition
Campaign to Promote Positive Images (CPPI)
The media and entertainment platforms can be a powerful tool to educate, motivate, uplift, and inspire. They can provide access and insight to change your world view, inspire dreams, and impact your ability to achieve your dreams. Positive programming can enlighten about culture and improve race relations while exposing myths, changing misperceptions and stereotypes.
The findings below were taken directly from the 2012 Dove Profitability Study and the 8 Million people they polled:
• 94% believe that offensive material in TV, Movies & the Internet is on the rise.
• 93% want to see more wholesome family entertainment made.
• If more was made, 84% said they would make an effort to watch & support it.
• 77% stated that the vast majority (75%) of today’s entertainment does not meet their expectations or reinforce the values important to them.
• 70% said that the amount of sex, violence and profanity in films bothers them.
• 76% think that [MPAA] movie ratings have gotten too lenient, and they don’t trust them. (This varies significantly from a survey by the MPAA which claims that 76% of the people they polled find the ratings somewhat to very helpful.)
Additionally, people of color have been misrepresented and pigeon-holed into very limiting and negative roles and programs perpetuating negative images. If there were a wider variety of programming options, stories told and images available, this could change the culture of racism that permeates the American society.
I, __________________________________, petition Hollywood, the Federal Communications Commission, and the media and entertainment industries as a whole, to join the Positive IMPACT Campaign and become a part of the social services solution. When there are more options for positive programming, I will watch and support positive programming, and encourage others to do the same.